[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:46:28 +0100

François Vincent schrieb:
BTW, in case you didn't know, there's an official Haiku OpenJDK porting
project. It has been very quiet for some time. I believe Bryan Varner
dropped out due to real life issues and Andrew Bachmann doesn't seem to have
much time either. At any rate, they got pretty far porting a previous JDK
(1.4.x, I believe) and it would certainly help to reuse their work.

Hi,

Just a (maybe) off topic comment. It's not the first time I read that
"Bryan Varner dropped out due to real life issues". But after his own
comment at OSNews http://www.osnews.com/permalink?346248 I'm unable to
see any real life issues.

He says he have just moved to Mac OS X and gave up to work for us. Is
it a real life issue? What's the problem about being honest? IMHO,
saying "real life issues" makes us keeping waiting for something that
won't going to happen.

It's the first time I hear that version. And I've read a few mails from Bryan himself on the subject, not some obscure OSNews comment he has made. I do not doubt that Bryan moved on to Mac OS X, but I do have a problem with automatically asserting dishonesty on Ingo's part. It's much more likely that Ingo simply didn't read that OSNews comment and went by what Bryan has been saying all the time before.

Best regards,
-Stephan