[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:45:02 -0400

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just a few remarks about the idea page:
> * "Identify and fix performance bottlenecks in our app_server" is
> probably not a good task for a student, besides, it's fast enough for
> me :-) Maybe something like "Implement hardware cursor support in the
> app_server" would be a better project.

Is the latter even complicated enough for a GSoC project?

> * "Help with the CUPS port", is not a good project either. AFAIK
> Ithamar is not really working on this anymore, so "Do the CUPS port"
> would be better, I think.

I wonder if we should just remove the CUPS port as I think it may be
too complex.

I also think we should remove tasks that other students could not
complete before, with the exception of Zeroconf, in which the student
just did not have the time to work on. Specifically: "Implement ICMP
error handling and propagation". Though wasn't some progress made on
this last year?

Regards,
Ryan