[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 18:44:47 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ryan Leavengood" [leavengood@xxxxxxxxx]
Date: 03/09/2009 15:58
To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> +1 for making a status report every 20 days or so a requirements.

>Oh, WAY more often than that. I say every week at least.

When I do consulting, I plan a day by day of what I will do, then I copy/paste
that into an email of what I did do and send that to the consulting manager
daily. Some managers like it, some don't; if they don't, I still write it, I
just don't send it. When working remote, this is the absolute best way to:
a) motivate yourself
b) keep yourself on track
c) keep your boss/team mates knowledgeable about what is going on
d) push for a little more from yourself

To also back what Ryan said - this should be treated as a job. If mentors don't
do so, they are depriving the student of a realistic understanding of how the
real world works; for many students this is their first real job. If students
don't treat it as a real job, they are setting themselves up to fail later.

Michael