[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:35:20 -0700

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:46 AM, François Vincent <batuque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a (maybe) off topic comment. It's not the first time I read that
> "Bryan Varner dropped out due to real life issues". But after his own
> comment at OSNews http://www.osnews.com/permalink?346248 I'm unable to
> see any real life issues.
>
> He says he have just moved to Mac OS X and gave up to work for us. Is
> it a real life issue? What's the problem about being honest? IMHO,
> saying "real life issues" makes us keeping waiting for something that
> won't going to happen.

Eh, bitter much?

Bryan keeps a blog, he posts his "real life issues" there all the time..

Perhaps you missed a few of them in the last couple years:

http://www.varnernet.com/~bryan/2007/11/07/things-i-used-to-enjoy-and-no-longer-do/
http://www.varnernet.com/~bryan/2008/08/11/what-happened-to-my-ambition/

a few others are spread through his blog, but the one you're
apparently focusing on is here:

http://www.varnernet.com/~bryan/2008/09/22/after-a-few-weeks-of-full-time-os-x/

Clearly the real life issue here is that he simply has no time to
screw around with hobby OSes any longer. That's a "real life issue" if
I've ever heard one.

Anyhow, Bryan is a decent guy, no reason to drag him through the mud
here on the mailing list because you either 1) wanted Java for Haiku
and are pissed that it still doesn't exist, 2) hate OS X or something,
or 3) have something personal against Bryan

We all have real life issues all the time, sometimes it's just "lack
of motivation" (which is a real life issue in my book)... Considering
I have a house that I've been renovating for 6 years, and 3 kids of my
own, I can totally understand where Bryan's coming from. Considering
any time he spent on the project was his own free time, donated for
the benefit of all - I'd say you're being an absolute ass about it.

Anyhow, sorry for dragging this discussion out, it hit a nerve.

- Urias