[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 16:20:22 +0100

Salvatore Benedetto schrieb:
I strongly suggest that this year we totally avoid private communication between
students and mentors. We should persuade students to use our gsoc mailing list
for many reasons. First of all, if the mentor, or the student, does
not make a status update,
no one will know what's going on, and it will look like everything is
dead (like last year).
Second of all, if the student use the mailing list to ask questions,
other mentors or developers
currently available, or even other students, can reply faster then the
mentor, who might be
currently unavailable. And last but not least, problems and solutions
can be discussed among
students and developers.

IMHO having both, the list and private comm, is just fine. We should just be more strict about timely status reports. Following communication also means investing more time, so having a large chunk of communication in the private between mentor and student means more time for other things for everybody else.

Best regards,
-Stephan