[haiku] Re: [GSoC]: who is willing to mentor this year?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:37:30 +0100

On 2009-03-09 at 15:46:22 [+0100], Grzegorz Dąbrowski
<grzegorz.dabrowski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > * OpenJDK -- though I'm currently not familiar with the code base
>
> I'm working on OpenJDK. Currently I have a working* gcj (java 1.5
> compatible compiler) and gij (virtual machine) from gcc project. Gcj
> is required to bootstrap OpenJDK (actually IceadTea)
>
> *issues with boehm-gc needs to be resolved, it's crashing
>
> My current work is available here
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/pingwinek/trunk/packages/gcc/

BTW, in case you didn't know, there's an official Haiku OpenJDK porting
project. It has been very quiet for some time. I believe Bryan Varner
dropped out due to real life issues and Andrew Bachmann doesn't seem to have
much time either. At any rate, they got pretty far porting a previous JDK
(1.4.x, I believe) and it would certainly help to reuse their work.

At any rate the boot strapping problem for OpenJDK remains. Porting some
other Java compiler/runtime is certainly an option, but, at least from what
I've heard, the recommended approach for new platforms is cross-compilation.

CU, Ingo