[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 10:45:37 +0200

On 2011-05-06 at 07:18:40 [+0200], Niels Sascha Reedijk
<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/5/6 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:
> > At least here it doesn't print anything. That aside it requires an
> > internet connection -- which I'd rather avoid -- and takes some time (hot
> > almost 3 seconds on my machine).
>
> Did you have custom changesets at the end though? Because it depends
> on the existence of outgoing changesets (see hg outgoing).

Ah, indeed. I just copy-and-pasted the command, not looking at what it does.

On 2011-05-06 at 09:47:19 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Niels Sascha Reedijk<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > on the existence of outgoing changesets (see hg outgoing). And yes, it
> > does require an Internet connection, but it is safe to say that our
> > build system in general seems to require that (with the default
> > packages).
>
> Only if you updated before, and need to download new packages - certainly
> not for every build.

Don't know, if there's also a ticket for it, but at least on my virtual TODO
list there's the introduction of a "download" build profile action,
downloading all packages needed for building the build profile without
actually building it.

> And that's something that should indeed be avoided
> (maybe through local caching), since you must not assume a working internet
> connection when building Haiku.

If it is possible to determine locally whether pushes/pulls have occurred
since the last check, caching should work well enough, I guess.

CU, Ingo