[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 20:10:39 +0200

scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Note that subversion, mercurial and git all fail several
> tests in Haiku.  So whichever one we decide on, there may
> be further porting work needed.  And with every new version
> they tend to break our previous patches...

If we're not limiting ourselves to already ported DVCS, there's
also Monotone. (One of the DVCS that inspired Torvalds/Git.
Monotone uses DAGs.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotone_(software)

It's in C++, depends on Boost, Botan, SQLite and can be extended
via Lua.

http://www.monotone.ca/
(The silly background is probably related to its latest release.)

http://www.monotone.ca/docs/index.html
http://wiki.monotone.ca/EvaluationFeatures/
http://wiki.monotone.ca/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools/

http://buildbot.monotone.ca/

Codecon 2006 presentation "Low stress version control":
http://www.monotone.ca/downloads/codecon-2006.pdf

Quotes:
In monotone we suggest that branches should mark communal
purposes, not “some divergence happened".

-- adding a branch is trivial and involves no
   administrative work
-- everyone sees all branches, because they
   are all mirrored on the group's server
-- shared branches are the default
-- everyone mirrors everything

Looks respectable to me, but underappreciated by the world for
some reason. From what I've read initial checkout is slower
due to integrity checking, and it may be that early releases
had bad performance overall. I haven't used it myself yet.

/Jonas