[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 00:28:14 +0200

On 2011-05-04 at 23:30:06 [+0200], Niels Sascha Reedijk
<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]
> > Are we instead now going to define our workflow around the tool that will
> > win the vote?
>
> No, that sounds bad. But if you found a solution for git that is
> essentially a hack (sorry, customization), then that doesn't mean that
> there won't be a similar type of solution with Mercurial.

Spare me the bad jokes please and let's stay with the facts. I didn't hack
git, I just used its commands. What you are suggesting is an addition to
Mercurial, with actual code involved.

Anyway, the bad news is: the suggested Mercurial extension doesn't exist and
my hack doesn't work. Now that I have thought of dropping the
page/inode/dentry caches and try again, I have learned that a 'git log
--decorate >log' takes more than 4 minutes with those tags and only 4 seconds
without those tags (both measured with empty caches).

Starting gitk takes more than 5 minutes with those tags from cold caches and
a couple of seconds without them. So, nice idea, but bad side-effect ;-)

That basically leaves us with no tool matching our criteria (and no,
subversion is no solution).

cheers,
        Oliver