[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 11:01:09 +0200

Hi,

2011/5/6 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Niels Sascha Reedijk<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> on the existence of outgoing changesets (see hg outgoing). And yes, it
>> does require an Internet connection, but it is safe to say that our
>> build system in general seems to require that (with the default
>> packages).
>
> Only if you updated before, and need to download new packages - certainly not
> for every build. And that's something that should indeed be avoided (maybe
> through local caching), since you must not assume a working internet
> connection when building Haiku.

But now this to me is just making it more complicated than necessary.
The script that is ran to fetch the revision number during build will:

Check the difference between haiku-central and the local repository.
* If there is no connection the version string will be:
  unverfied-4a4334a
* If there is a connection and there are no changes:
  haiku-central-4a4334a
* if there were changes
  custom-5344aa4 (derived from haiku-central-4a4334a)

And yes, you can build in some caching in this build script. In order
to have some sense of time, we can include the commit date of the head
revision.