[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 20:23:02 +0200

Hi,

2011/5/4 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Niels Sascha Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> === Checkout on Haiku ===
>
> Thanks for all the tests! Judging from the syntax alone I would prefer
> hg :-)
> Does all those commands work on Haiku as well?

Sorry for the confusion, except for the one checkout on Mac OS X, all
the tests were done on Haiku.

> I don't find the complete checkout times that important, how does
> rebasing the local repository to a more recent revision look like?

That's a good question. I will try to run that tonight (but I am
having some troubles with getting VirtualBox to start so it might not
work).

> How fast is switching between branches?

Should be as fast as doing an 'update' or 'checkout'. The actual time
depends on the number of differences between the two changesets.

> How fast is creating a new branch?

Both in git and hg branching is just adding a label to a changeset.

> How fast is merging a branch?

That's also a good question.

> And finally, does hg support updating the local repository without
> (temporarily) throw away my local changes?

It does not throw them away, but it does not allow you to merge in the
newer changesets either. There is the Attic extention which does what
git stash does. (hg shelve, hg pull, hg merge (if needed), and hg
unshelve)

> As far as I understand, that takes 3-4 commands with git which I find
> very annoying (git stash, git rebase, git stash apply[, git stash
> clear]) -- or is that only relevant when working with SVN as a source
> repository?

Like other replies here: I agree that you would probably not have any
uncommitted changes when you pull newer ones.