[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:09:38 -0400

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I liked the -r -500 syntax, and I also like the non-pager default
> behaviour of diff (as that makes navigating the diff with the mouse
> almost impossible), but like it as an option for inferior terminals
> like Gnome's.

Is the paging configurable in Git? I would assume so, but I'm not sure.

> Apart from that, what you don't see is that git doesn't allow you to
> abbreviate commands, you always have to type them out :-)

It probably should just accept unambiguous command shortcuts, but you
can at least define aliases for commands in your .gitconfig:

http://gitimmersion.com/lab_11.html

The above also shows using shell aliases which I also use a lot. These
of course can also be used with hg (which while on the topic is easier
to type than git.)

> Nah, git pull is the way to go - I like to update to the latest
> revision before committing my local changes, or else I might need to
> commit the additional merge diffs separately.

I think git pull --rebase handles that pretty well, allowing you to
edit your local commits in case of merge conflicts, so that in the end
it looks like you committed over the updated code from remote.

--
Regards,
Ryan