[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 18:07:26 +0200

On Wed, 04 May 2011 18:00:47 +0200, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Apart from that, what you don't see is that git doesn't allow you to
abbreviate commands, you always have to type them out :-)

You can abbreviate commands, just just have to define aliases.

Nah, git pull is the way to go - I like to update to the latest
revision before committing my local changes, or else I might need to
commit the additional merge diffs separately.
Apparently, only if you work with git-svn updating to the last revision
gets annoying.

What Ingo meant was that, I think, you need to do your development in a separate branch. You pull into the local master branch (just a copy of the remote branch). Then merge the pulled in changes in your development branch and then commit back (passing through the local master).

I hope I'm making sense... I'm not that familiar with using a DVCS yet.

--
Brecht