[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 22:50:59 +0200

Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 May 2011 18:02:18 +0200, Ryan Leavengood
> > <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > how we work. Saying Haiku revision 4d5b6789 is not as pretty as
> > > Haiku
> > > r43215 but it isn't unworkable.

I'm very against dropping sequential revision numbers; I've already
filled the archive with a number of arguments and opinions on that,
though :-)
In any case, before we do that, I would say we should just stick with
SVN, and let everyone who wants to use a DVCS use it over the existing
bridges (I don't mean our read-only clone, but git-svn for example).
We also mustn't lose our existing revision numbers when switching the
VCS, as that would let us lose a lot of the usefulness of our existing
bug database. I think those are really the minimal requirements for a
switch.

[...]
> Having a lot of those tags sitting in a repo may or may not slow down
> git-related tools, I don't know yet (but will try with gitk later
> today).

That would indeed be great to know beforehand. I can't think of a good
reason why that should slow anything down, though -- it needs to have
the hash keys indexed, too, anyway.

Bye,
   Axel.