[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 17:10:03 -0400

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In any case, before we do that, I would say we should just stick with
> SVN, and let everyone who wants to use a DVCS use it over the existing
> bridges (I don't mean our read-only clone, but git-svn for example).

That is only an option if:

1. git-svn actually works on Haiku (it didn't last time I tried)
2. People working in Git or Hg can share branches and still commit
back up to SVN eventually.
3. We figure out workflows that aren't a pain for the people who
choose to use one of the other tools. Like a lot of recommendations
I've seen say not to do much "normal" Git stuff when using git-svn. Or
at least you have to be more careful.

There are probably other issues.

I'm not sure if keeping sequential revision numbers is worth all that.

> We also mustn't lose our existing revision numbers when switching the
> VCS, as that would let us lose a lot of the usefulness of our existing
> bug database. I think those are really the minimal requirements for a
> switch.

If if the new repo is based on the existing imports from SVN we should
be OK. At least the git-svn import shows the SVN revision numbers in
the imported commits.

Ryan