[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 20:09:04 +0200

On 2011-05-04 at 19:25:36 [+0200], Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]
> If there is something like svn commit hooks, it may be possible to
> increment a revision id in a version.h file. Then, we can include that
> in AboutSystem (or somewhere else) to get it available in the built
> Haiku. Would that work ? If the hook is set up on our central
> repository, it is the only one to handle versions.

There are commit hooks, but you can't change any version controled file in
that hook, as that would make the changeset different between server and
local repo. You could execute that change after executing the commit, but
that would require doing an additional changeset just for the change of
version.h. The latter would be similar to using a shared (Mercurial-)tag, but
a tag has the advantage that it can be used to name revisions, as in

        hg diff -r hrev40222 -r hrev40229

cheers,
        Oliver