[haiku-development] Re: Git/Hg: some speed tests

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 18:37:43 -0400

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That basically leaves us with no tool matching our criteria (and no,
> subversion is no solution).

Then we drop the sequential revision number requirement. We will need
to start more actively versioning Haiku, even as we develop it.
Subversion has kept us lazy in not tagging versions and just relying
on it to sequentially version Haiku. That is really all those revision
numbers are, version numbers (insert pedantic response here.)

Thousands of projects seem to manage fine with Git or Mercurial and no
sequential revision numbers.

Seriously, we need to move on. Sorry if not everyone is happy with
that, but the project needs to evolve. Looks like we won't get my
choice of Git, but Mercurial will sure make me much happier than
Subversion.

Ryan