[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 07:25:11 -0500

>My thinking is that the needs of apps like FL Studio, Kontakt, DR-008
>etc. are really better served by an evolution of the JACK paradigm, but
>we'll be able to reuse a lot of the same conventions and structures
>developed for
>GMPI when the time comes to build such a thing. Having memory

heh, you mean like porting JACK to Windows? i'm open for such a
thing, as soon as someone raises US$20K to do it, and finds me
an IPC primitive (primarily an inter-process wakeup mechanism) that is
fast enough to be used for realtime audio work.

its really hard for me to imagine this working on windows at the
present time. process context switch times on win32 are horrible, from
what i hear. windows has always emphasized thread programming rather
than process level programming. we were delighted when it was possible
to port JACK to OSX and get slightly better performance there than on
Linux. but i find it hard to believe that the same would work for
windows. not impossible, just hard. whenever i think about a port of
ardour to windows, i imagine just making its AudioEngine class wrap
ASIO instead of JACK.

--p