[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:32:47 +0000

Didier Dambrin wrote:

I agree, it looks like if for some people here the GUI is just about a couple of knobs controlling parameters,

And indeed, for probably 95% of plug-ins in existence, it is exactly this, or very little more.

Even if you look at the feature-rich end of conventional plug-ins - something like ImpOSCar, Albino, Waves plug-ins - you still need only knobs and parameters.. the patch management features could (and should) be pushed in to the host.

while it can be much more than that.

Indeed. But maybe it's best for GMPI to cover the 90% really well, make it easy (and, in effect, compulsory) for newbie plug-in developers to do things in the right way, whilst at the same time recognising that this does NOT work well for the other 10%, and that a solution will be needed for that.

My thinking is that the needs of apps like FL Studio, Kontakt, DR-008 etc. are really better served by an evolution of the JACK paradigm, but we'll be able to reuse a lot of the same conventions and structures developed for
GMPI when the time comes to build such a thing. Having memory protection, your own message loop and everything else that comes with a full process-context would make development of such things easier, and user experience better.

(The only reservation I have about this is regarding the IPC performance of Windows... does anyone have any hard information as to whether or not this will be better in Longhorn?)

Regards,
      Angus.

Angus F. Hewlett, Managing Director (CEO)
FXpansion Audio UK Ltd - http://www.fxpansion.com
Registered in the UK - #4455834 - VAT: GB 798 7782 33