[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Robert Fehse" <robertfehse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:31:15 +0100

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:02:33PM +0100, Robert Fehse wrote:
> > >76: GUIs are not part of a DSP plugin with private access to the DSP
> > internals.
> >
> > this sounds reasonable but for some plugin types i think this
requirement is
> > hardly to fullfill.
> > how you would realize a display of the current output waveform or
sampledata
> > and so on ?
> > i think it would be total overhead if these data must be sent to gui
value
> > by value.
>
> Plugins and their DSP can run in the same memory space, they just should
> not be tightly coupled.  Now, if this really proves impractical, we'll
> see what we need to do.

i think it would be important for the host to know whether the plugin needs
the same memory space.
i basically like the idea of dividing gui + dsp for ultimative flexibility,
the plugs just have to inform the host what they can.
what is 'tightly coupled' exactly in the world of programming ? ;-)

> > >78: Plugin GUIs must have the option to be resizeable.
> >
> > must have ?
> > all plugins made with vstgui would have problems to meet this
requirement i
> > think.
> > and most plugins simply don't need resizing.
>
> Have the option - if a plugin wants to be resizeable, it can be.  If it
> does not want to be resizeable, it does not have to be.  Can this be
> worded better?

ok.

would be nice to have a list of all options a plugin/host has to publish,
somthing like the vst can do's.
just as an overview.

robert