[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Didier Dambrin" <didid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 03:24:20 +0100

I'd like to see how, because I can't imagine Windows doing that. GDI? it's a display toolkit, nothing to do with window management.

Let's say your plugin has a window, so a window handle. You probably want this under Windows, because you'd prefer the plugin to get his own kb/mouse/whatever management (instead of sending it dumb mouse message in a very non-windows compliant way like VST & the quite bad VSTGUI a lot of people unfortunately use).
So you need to rely on window handles, and I can't imagine, since it's all message-based, attaching a window from another process into yours. In fact, I can only think of bad things with UI in another process.

So you're a mac programmer, right? I was suspecting this from the propellerheads as well with their bad ReWire design. Really you should separate such designs for both mac OSes & Windows, because the platforms are different. The VST system itself has similar bad design choices related to mac programming.

So maybe the UI in its own process is a good design for macs - I wouldn't know, I never touched a one-button mouse. But it's surely bad design under Windows. As for linux I wouldn't know neither.

>and btw, how do you glue the plugin's UI from another process to a window >in
your own process?

its not hard with most GUI toolkits. X provides XReparentWindow, and there are GDI and Aqua equivalents, AFAIK.

--p