[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Robert Fehse" <robertfehse@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:15:22 +0100

> > >76: GUIs are not part of a DSP plugin with private access to the DSP
> > internals.
> >
> > this sounds reasonable but for some plugin types i think this
requirement is
> > hardly to fullfill.
> > how you would realize a display of the current output waveform or
sampledata
> > and so on ?
> > i think it would be total overhead if these data must be sent to gui
value
> > by value.
>
> Not if you can send arrays.

sending arrays has the same bandwidth as sending value by value, and if you
have to send a 176khz stereo stream to your gui over a network or whatever i
can still imagine problems.

i understand that from the design it makes sense to process dsp-gui
communication via the host, but i fear in real live a lot of plugins simply
don't do that. and i think to rework these communication is a big task for
most pluginvendors and may gives a bad feeling to GMPI, because of this.

that's why i suggest to make this an optional feature, allowing the host to
decide how to handle the gui.

robert