[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:44:23 +0000

Didier does raise an interesting point though... FL Studio was written in Delphi, which started out with a forms-based programming model - one which favored a tight integration between data and its representation. Network-transparent systems are nice, but in an industry with rather limited development resources, I wonder if the extra complexity is really a win. IMHO, it will rule out the development or porting of some big and significant plug-ins to GMPI.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like there are two classes of plug-ins:-

A) A plug-in whose state can easily be represented by a set of parameters, and whose user interface could reasonably be designed with markup.
In other words, the type of plug-in for which you could build everything besides the DSP code core with some snap-together plug-in kit (Synthedit, Reaktor, etc.).
(Jeff - yes, I know you can import custom code DLLs in to Synthedit). This is probably 90% of the plugs currently on the market. GMPI seems to be a good fit for this.. my guess is, we can provide a good user experience without most developers ever having to touch UI code.

B) Plug-ins for which the above is not true. Probably they'd be better off running as apps via JACK (or something of the sort); this could be augmented by adding persistency support, and direct support for some RFB-based protocol for transporting the GUI across a network. (yes, I know RFB protocols suck for efficiency. But the reality is, development resources are not infinite, and I'd rather be able to run Kontakt or FL Studio well on the desktop and sluggishly over a net, than not have it available at all because it'd be too damn expensive to develop).

Paul Davis wrote:

plugins can already put their UI in another process if they want, they don't need the host to help them communicate with themselves

users can't put the DSP part of a plugin on another CPU if the GUI
expects to run there as well. you might not want to do that, but those
of us who

  a) build embedded headless systems (think Receptor/Plugzilla)
  b) use network-transparent GUI systems

already do this, and would like to not have to work so hard to get it
in the future.

--p

Angus F. Hewlett, Managing Director (CEO)
FXpansion Audio UK Ltd - http://www.fxpansion.com
Registered in the UK - #4455834 - VAT: GB 798 7782 33