[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Didier Dambrin" <didid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 04:42:18 +0100

Hi Dider,
GIMPI doesn't force you to use two processes. In SynthEdit (PC software) I use two *threads*.
The point is, when you want to send data to the GUI, You say "Hey host, send this data to the GUI".

I now understand that (same as for ReWire apparently), it's just that I read 'requirement' in previous emails.

This is very powerful. GUI might in other thread, other process, or other computer entirely.

It's not your plugin that does the inter-thread (or inter-process) communication, it's the host.

ok now I do understand why the requirement.
The host doing interprocess communication for the plugin? This sucks even more than what I thought. anyway..

Your plugin is sheilded from the problem.
After switcheding SynthEdit to this model, I went though and deleted line after line of complex inter-thread locking code, very satisfiying.

in favor of much more complex communication between your *own* code and your *own* code.