[gmpi] Re: Req 76,78

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:38:16 +0000

Paul Davis wrote:

My thinking is that the needs of apps like FL Studio, Kontakt, DR-008 etc. are really better served by an evolution of the JACK paradigm, but we'll be able to reuse a lot of the same conventions and structures developed for
GMPI when the time comes to build such a thing. Having memory

heh, you mean like porting JACK to Windows? i'm open for such a
thing, as soon as someone raises US$20K to do it, and finds me
an IPC primitive (primarily an inter-process wakeup mechanism) that is
fast enough to be used for realtime audio work.

I don't think it's impossible... Creamware and RME audio cards are able to stream audio (to/from their hardware) from at least two applications at once, at pretty low latencies. Not sure how this scales >2 tho'.

Actually, I was more thinking along the lines of something using the same conventions that will be developed for GMPI (same function naming conventions, same event structures etc. etc.), but using JACKlike technology for inter-process audio streaming.

Regards,
      Angus.

Angus F. Hewlett, Managing Director (CEO)
FXpansion Audio UK Ltd - http://www.fxpansion.com
Registered in the UK - #4455834 - VAT: GB 798 7782 33