[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:18:12 -0500

Are you suggesting that tempo-controlling plugins should not be
possible, or that Cakewalk will (perhaps in the short term, only) invoke
the "Hosts may choose not to allow this" clause?
<<<

The latter.  Maybe this whole thing will prove to be much easier once we
start getting our hands dirty.  Or maybe some of our more
live-performance oriented hosts (Project5) will support it but our
linear DAW (SONAR) will not.  My point is, handing tempo control to a
plugin can introduce a lot of complexity in a host app, especially if
the host app wasn't designed with this usage case in mind.

DOWNstream?  Now you've lost me...

Pretend we're dealing with MIDI plugins, accepting and receiving MIDI
data.  One way to vary tempo would be for some plugin to change the
musical times of all its incoming MIDI events.  But now that I hear
myself saying this, it sounds stupid :-/, so never mind.