[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:22:36 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:14:10PM -0800, Chris Grigg wrote:
> ;-)
>
> Let me get this straight:  You want musical time to continue while
> paused so that beat-sync FX can continue to run, yet you find fault
> with all of the musical time types that allow musical time to
> continue while paused?

:P  I *used* to think it *might* make sense to keep musical time going.
I've been swayed.  The faults have always been present in my mind, I just
didn't consider the "paused and restarted" case.  I considered the "was
playing, now stopped" case which makes more sense. :)  Either way, the
problems DO exist.

> either a) by sending musically regular musical-time position update
> events (beats, barlines, etc.) to those few plugs that care about
> that stuff continuing during pause, or b) requiring those few plugs
> that care about that stuff to maintain their own internal
> samplePositionToMusicalPosition() translations.  Both solutions seems
> uncontroversial to me.

Agreed.

> Would you be willing to take a second whack at the four time types
> from some (i.e. any less single-issue) other POV than while-paused
> clocking?  Like what the plug might conceivably want to do with each
> one of them while the graph is running normally?

That's what I have been asking everyone here for.  Either use cases that
justify the proposal for any particular clock style OR general time-related
use cases, which we can "solve".

I put forth a couple general use cases for time-related issues.  I was
hoping others would chime in.

Just tell me what plugins you write or use that are time-aware (in any
sense) and what plugins you think you might write or use that are time
aware.

If no plugin ever needs to know about a clock, that clock doesn't need to
exist, right?

Tim