[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:59:49 +0100

On Monday, February 16, 2004 9:10 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Jeff McClintock <xxxjeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Fair enough.  So the question is, does a plugin need access to the
>> hosts full tempo map, or only information  from the host about
>> tempo/meter for
> the
>> current set of samples/events ?
>
> Thinking out loud....
>
> What if we don't give the plugin direct access to the tempo map?, An
> offline plugin could still get it.  It would perform an pre-pass of
> the entire song, recording any tempo/meter changes internally  to
> construct a complete tempo map.
>   It seems to me that any offline plugin could use this technique to
> build a complete tempo map, regardless of host support for such
> things.

Are you suggesting to only allow a plugin to *request* information about the
tempo from the host and not *set* it? That would prohibit the existence of
tempo tracking plugins.
Or are you only talking about the "infinite lookahead" as used by "offline"
plugins here (I hope so)?

Koen