[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:02:13 -0800

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:28:29AM -0500, seb@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >Is there a host developer who would care to comment on this ?
>
> The trick would be to have a tempo map for each plug-in
> generating/writing one and have the user (it could be in power
> user mode for those fearing to expose this to every users)
> do the "tempo map" -> "plug-in that needs to read from it" association.
> That's what we do in Bidule.

Never used Bidule, but that is more or less exactly what I expected.  Good.

> >On balance I think I'm against a plugin changing a host tempo map.
>
> I'm seriously hoping that this only mean (as well as for all others
> against that) that the plug-in can't write back to the tempo
> map it's reading from and not that the plug-in can't generate
> its own tempo map/timeline/timeline-related events because

I think that is true.  At least it is for me.  Plugins which control tempo
ABSOLUTELY MUST be possible.  I think that is a hard requirement that no one
is denying.  Publishing an entire tempo map is a bit further down the
evolution of the discussion, and I think is an avenue for something outside
GMPI.

Tim