[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:46:45 -0800

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:14:26PM -0500, Michael Stauffer wrote:
> >- Guitarist and percussionist are playing live.
> >- Other music parts (synth arpeggios, extra percussion, ...) are
> >pre-recorded on tracks in the sequencer.
> >- While playing, the percussionist puts in small tempo
> >fluctuations to give
> >the song a better live feel (speed ups, slow downs, hesitations, ...)
> >- The guitarist can follow that as he is playing live too.
> >- The sequencer tracks also follows that because a plugin is
> >mounted on the
> >incoming live audio from the percussionist, and all other parts
> >of the song
> >just follow the live tempo fluctuations.

> One thing to note about what Koen and I are proposing: the plug-in should
> be able to control tempo of the host (if appropriate) and potentially

It's also important to note that this use case is "realtime".  The plugin is
not "showing" it's entire tempo-map to the host (because its tempo map depends
on realtime input).  It would be delivering Just-In-Time events to the
plugins for which it is tempo-master.

> Per the discussion within the previous weeks, I think we should limit
> things to a single tempo controller for the whole host/graph setup, and
> have a means of registering a plug-in as a tempo master/controller, and
> the host enables the user to select one if there are any registered.

I don't see any reason at all to limit this arbitrarily.  As long as the
host is prepared to handle it, there can be any number of tempo controllers
in a graph (**).  It might come out weird, but it's not illegal.

It's important to realize that a GMPI plugin setup might be thought of as a
graph of nodes connected by audio-data edges, or as a graph of nodes
connected by control-data edges and those are NOT the same graph.  The
control-edge graph will likely have a small number of tempo/time controllers
at the root, with many other plugins hanging off, while the audio-edge graph
will likely be much more blanced.  Just fun thinking.