[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:14:26 -0500

Koen wrote:

>Actually Tim, I have proposed this use case a long time ago already.
>And have also already repeated it when Michael entered the list:
>
>>From a mail by myself in March 2003 (oh yes):
>Well, one thing I have been waiting to see is a possibility to
>send tempo to
>the host. For example: I want to make a tempo tracker plugin
>that extracts
>the tempo from an audio stream and have that being used as the "master
>tempo" to which all other things are time-sync'd in a musical
>sense (good
>for live performances and music that calls for easy tempo fluctuations).
>
>I just thought repeating this exact same thing AGAIN seems a
>bit overdoing
>it right (especially when Michael also proposed the same use case)?
>
>But I *can* get more precise if you like:
>- Guitarist and percussionist are playing live.
>- Other music parts (synth arpeggios, extra percussion, ...) are
>pre-recorded on tracks in the sequencer.
>- While playing, the percussionist puts in small tempo
>fluctuations to give
>the song a better live feel (speed ups, slow downs, hesitations, ...)
>- The guitarist can follow that as he is playing live too.
>- The sequencer tracks also follows that because a plugin is
>mounted on the
>incoming live audio from the percussionist, and all other parts
>of the song
>just follow the live tempo fluctuations.

I second this 'use case', heartily. Tempo-Trackers Unite!! ;-)

One thing to note about what Koen and I are proposing: the plug-in should
be able to control tempo of the host (if appropriate) and potentially
other graphs too, not just the graph to which it belongs, as Tim
mentioned in his recent sample 'use case'. I guess if a host acts only as
a GMPI container, then it doesn't really need to have it's tempo
controlled.

Per the discussion within the previous weeks, I think we should limit
things to a single tempo controller for the whole host/graph setup, and
have a means of registering a plug-in as a tempo master/controller, and
the host enables the user to select one if there are any registered.

Cheers,
Michael