[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:04:24 -0800

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 11:58:36AM +0100, Koen Tanghe wrote:
> > Just tell me what plugins you write or use that are time-aware (in any
> > sense) and what plugins you think you might write or use that are time
> > aware.

> Well, I already raised my points of interest, but for completeness:
> - "musical time"-synced audio/midi generating plugins

Can you give me a more detailed for-instance example?  I want to include
real, detailed, thought-out scenarios.  For example:

An automatic drummer.  It needs to know the tempo and when the tempo
changes.  It needs to know the meter and when the meter changes.  It needs
to know exactly when bars and beats start, so it can lay down accurate
drumming.

Is that an accurate example of what you're talking about?

> - the inverse: audio/midi-analyzing plugins that send "musical time" info to
> the host and to other plugins

Again, a real example (though I think Michael gave us a good example, I
still need it spelled out as such)

How about:

A plugin which analyzes the incoming audio and (perhaps with a little latency),
calculates the tempo and meter.  This plugin then controls the tempo and
meter of other plugins in the graph, somehow.

Do those use cases cover the aspects?  Once we have a bunch of these, it
will be clear what is needed, I think.