[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:44:30 -0500

Tim wrote:

>Just tell me what plugins you write or use that are time-aware (in any
>sense) and what plugins you think you might write or use that are time
>aware.

My other use case:
The 'offline' (this term, (ahem), undetermined) analysis and control of
tempo.

The user records a live pianist without a click, because the pianist
can't stand to play to a click (something about his mother, piano
recitals and brussel sprouts - but I digress). The user wants to add some
sequenced string parts to the piano recording, but the tempo fluctuates
too much - it's generally just a couple bpm in either direction, but also
a signifigant change at each chorus.

Our plug-in will analyze the piano recording and determine the precise
tempo map and beat positions, then set the host's tempo map. This would
happen *after* the user is done recording, and the transport is stopped.
I'm assuming here that the host has sequencing/recording capabilites.
There are two main reasons to do this:

1) now the user can add the sequenced string parts and they sync up
perfectly with the original piano recording.

2) the host can use the tempo map (or direct "beat map" info if the plug
can pass that in) to do much more flexible and better audio
time-stretching.

===

I realize this is a specialized plug-in capability that would very much
help my needs in particular, and perhaps very few others' at this point,
if any at all. I don't expect it to be made a requirement just for me if
there are reasons not to add it, but am hoping to flesh out if there's
enough perceived interest to include it perhaps at least as an
"ignorable" requirement so that there's hope for it in the future if not
now.

This kind of capability goes along with the proliferation of
beat-slicing/matching technologies in the past few years. Hopefully, our
plug will be so popular that others follow in its path and there will be
several developers trying to use GMPI just for this kind of thing! :-)
Koen, can you think of other scenarios for this kind of 'offline'
processing?

BTW, David, I looked at VST Modules SDK, and couldn't find a way to *set*
the hosts tempo map. I posted to the mailing list and someone from
Steinberg replied that it can NOT be done and also that VST Modules does
NOT allow realtime setting of host tempo, ala VST 2.0. Damn!

Cheers,
Michael