[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:48:00 -0500

>The user records a live pianist without a click, because the pianist

 [ ... example elided ... ]

>I realize this is a specialized plug-in capability that would very much
>help my needs in particular, and perhaps very few others' at this point,

With the greatest respect for and understanding of your example, I
would say that the feature you are describing is just about the only
one in which a plugin requires write access to the host's tempo map.
However, its a feature that many people would tend to expect to be
handled by the host itself (given the host's traditional control of
the tempo map). Its no accident that BeatDetective and other similar
tools are not plugins.

The fact that most hosts today can't do this can be seen either
variously as supporting (1) offering this capability to plugins or an
open source development model. Either way, it requires a great deal of
change/support on the host side, all to be able to provide
functionality that the host could (and probably will) provide itself
at some point.

In short, you're asking for a major chunk of support in GMPI to enable
a corner case that will probably vanish in a few years. I don't think
that rules it out (and my assessment may be wrong anyway), but its not
an easy sell from my perspective anyway.

--p