[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: "Michael Stauffer" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:22:35 -0500

Tim wrote:

>> BTW, querying the host's tempo map would be useful for 'look ahead'
>> capabilities for delay plugs, et al, as long as the map is
>being used for
>> tempo during performance, since it won't change. If the host
>is setup for
>> external sync (clocks, ReWire, or GMPI plug-in) then it
>wouldn't be any
>> use.
>
>What I don't get is this:  Given that there is a significant
>chance that any
>lookahead will be *wrong*, why do it at all?  Why do people
>keep insisting on
>it?  I mean, I'm not AGAINST it, if it can be justified.  But if it is
>unreliable AT BEST, what's the point?

If the host is not accepting tempo input from anywhere else (or depending
on how it's all set up, if there's just a single tempo controller that
has a *static* tempo map posted and designated for use), then lookahead
will not be wrong. Ie, if there's a single static tempo map somewhere
that's being used during performance, there's no chance it will change. I
figure this is a common scenario.

I have no direct need for this myself, but was commenting on what's been
said about tempo-sync'ed plugs that can benefit from lookahead when it's
relevant/reliable.

Cheers,
Michael