[gmpi] Re: 3.9 Time Formats

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:12:14 -0800

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 01:06:01PM -0000, Andy C wrote:
> 1: The abilty to get the tempo for the current sample set from the host

ok, I think we have that covered by a use case.

> 2: The ability to look ahead at the tempo map

Justify this.  Give me a use case that requires it.  A general rule so far
is "there is nothing you can know about the future that is guaranteed
accurate" so why bother to try.  Maybe you can prove me wrong.

> 3: The ability to convert from tempo to milliseconds  from a given note
> length.    Preferably I like to ask the host, given my current sample, what
> is the tempo and what is the length in milliseconds for X note length ?

If you know the tempo and meter, you can calculate that, right?   Can you
give me a use case that shows the need for knowing "note length" or meter?

> 4: Given the ability to "look ahead" in the tempo map, I'd like to do the
> same calculation for any point on the tempo map (in case my plugin needs to
> do tempo look ahead for some reason)

use case?

> Bottom line, at the moment, I just need a simple way to convert from tempo
> map to milliseconds given a certain note length.  Hope this is helpful

very useful - can you fill in the blanks?