[elky] Re: Alternator problem = Elky killer

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 19:16:19 -0700

looks different than the one Manuel has....

Check these pictures out Saul and let me know if this looks like it could replace your old one.
JC

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Saul Marsh <saulmarsh72@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:saulmarsh72@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi guys,
        I occasionally spend a few minutes when available trying to
        get my alternator problem figured out.  Brought my alternator
        to Autozone last month and it tested bad, so I turned it in
        and got a new one.  Thought I compared the old and new one
        together, but apparently did not do a good enough job
        checking it.  Replacing an alternator should be an easy job,
        right?  New one doesn't fit. I'm having a helluva time and my
        car can't be moved as a result.  I wish I could get my old
        alternator back, just long enough to move the car into the
        garage.
        My questions:
        1.  Do I have an alternator or a generator?  My dash light
        says "GEN" and my '73 GMC Sprint manual calls it a "Delcotron
        Generator Assembly."  The Autozone computer calls it an
        "alternator."
        2.  Shouldn't there be a difference between alternators on
        pre-'75 and post-'75 models?  I bought shiny new chrome
        alternator brackets thinking that the old brackets looked
like something thrown together by some shadetree mechanic. The new brackets are good for models up through 1975. The
        Autozone computer shows the same alternator for a '73 307,
        '73 350, and a '77 350.  Maybe they tried to make one
        alternator interchangeable with too many others.
        3.  Where can I find some sort of identifying code on my
        engine?  Given that the previous owner used this Sprint as a
        parts car for other cars, I'm not even sure I have the
        original 350 anymore.
        4.  Am I an idiot for even taking this project on?
        Thanks all for your help.  Nothing urgent here, but I sure
        would like to at least be able to move my Sprint without
        selling it as a parts car.
        Saul
        '73 GMC Sprint