[elky] Re: Alternator problem = Elky killer

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 18:57:39 -0700

spotter.  you are an El Camino spotter, not stalker.

sounds so much better.

I probably have a pic of sprint's engine before we pulled it out. I took a lot of them (so we might have some chance of getting it back in). I'll have to hunt, they are old school 35mm prints.

Mary

Thanks JC. The 68BB photo is similar to the chrome brackets I purchased. Note that on your upper bracket, your alternator is behind the bracket, so you can loosen the slider bolt from the front. On my '73, my alternator has to be placed in front of the bracket. Also, your alternator mounting bolt (through the lower alternator bracket) appears to have one long spacer. I ended up with one long spacer and two shorter ones, which I wish I paid more attention to what order they came off. Today I put the old brackets back on and it almost looks right, but is still not. My pulley does not line up with the other pulleys. And it appears that if I could get the pulley to line up, the belt would interfere with the end of that long mounting bolt (the one with the spacers). I can't believe I'm having this much trouble with this repair. My next step is to as a coworker of mine if I can look under the hood of his '75 El Camino so I can compare. Might be a little awkward because I don't know this coworker at all....I just know there's a '75 El Camino in the parking lot next to mine every day. I am an El Camino stalker.