[elky] Re: Alternator problem = Elky killer

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:30:57 -0400

What about the replacement alternator doesn't allow it to fit?  I'm
assuming it is an SI alternator, and probably a 10-SI, at least
according to this:

http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html

There shouldn't be too many versions of the 10-SI alternators for
early Chevy small blocks.  The only significant difference I can think
of the clocking of the case.  (3 o'clock mounting ears, 6 o'clock,
etc.)  If your old alternator brackets work I would stick with them.

Unfortunately when you go to your friendly neighborhood parts store
the person behind the counter typically has very little parts
knowledge.  I would take the alternator back to the parts store you
bought it from and insist they give you an EXACT replacement of the
one you had.  Make them look in the paper catalog.  Tell them you want
to see the listing in the paper catalog.  The average parts jockey
wants to be an order taker - make them do their job and get you the
correct part.  (Yes this is a pet peeve of mine.)

Also look at the part numbers on RockAuto.com , that may help you get
the correct part number.

Good luck.