[elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:05:18 -0500

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I would like a propane stove with a big old tank in the ground.  The rest
> I can live without during Pioneer Days.  Still worrying about that La Nina
> winter.
>
> Is gas high in TX (they do make it there don't they?)

               Yup Lots of gas here. Sitting on top of the barnett shale
here. Back during the drilling boom I could look out from the house and see
anywhere from 3-6 rigs all drilling at the same time. Looked like a bunch of
launch towers at night.  So because we have all this gas it costs more
here.. There is a large pipeline going to the north east and they pay less
for gas than we do. Seems we are the ones paying for their pipeline.

>   Ours is imported from Canada so it's a luxury, but it would be nice to
> have a back up stove.  Generator is spendy for the little use you get out of
> it.  there's a chart I found on the net somewhere that tells you what size
> you need to run x y and z appliances.

                For about $500 I can get a HF generator that'll run most of
the house or run the NEW AC unit to be installed next year but not both at
the same time. With all the badly taken care of trees here and the power
lines being on poles the power goes out in storms and ice.
               When I get around to replacing the main panel in the house
I'm going to have the elec company move the meter to the shop which is close
to the pole. Then the shop will feed the house. The lines from the shop to
house are bigger than the ones the elec company has feeding the house. And..
I'll dig a trench to the pole and have them put the lines in the ground
instead of from the pole. That way I can just flip a lever and shut off all
power to the house and replace as I need.

> The guys selling the solar (here) say it works on cloudy days, but I wonder
> how well.  Right now, it's cloudy, rainy and the sun is very low in the sky
> (below the tree line in front).  Cosmetic flaws are irrelevant, so that
> sounds good for you.
>
> and something went 'BOOM' a few hours ago (speaking of taking trees down).
> Took a walk around and whatever shook the house is still a mystery.
> Probably a good thing.
>
> Mary

                      Retail price of solar panels ends up taking 20-25
years to break even and that's the length of the warranty. Now some states
and counties and elec companies have programs to help pay for it but you
have to do everything the expensive way.. Now in CA you can put up a system
big enough to cover all your needs and end up roughly 3-4K out of pocket
cause all the subsidies there and govt ones.
                    For me though it's better to get B grade panels or just
get cells solder them together and make a case for them. Plan is to use the
glass from the old storm windows as it's tempered and free.

                        We get quite a few booms here too. Caused by fighter
jets... I see the new F-22 flying around on almost a daily basis. Easy to
pick out too, don't even need to see it as it's louder than any other plane
out there. Sounds like an F4 with the AB on. No need for radar lock just set
the missle to go to the loudest noise.