[elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:14:34 -0500

Yes, Mary;

>   There is lots of gas in Texas.
> I think the biggest deposits are around Amarillo. The only way that they
> make it is when some of them run their mouths; otherwise, it was put there a
> long time ago when the earth's crust was formed.
>   (This from a native Texan, so don't anybody get upset).
> I remember in about 1950 when there was a natural gas pipeline opened up to
> Seattle; we were able to pitch the coal stove that took up lots of space
> and
> install a floor furnace.
>
> We installed a wood stove in the corner of the living room just prior to
> the Y2K fiasco; you just never really know, do you?

                    Well Geri wants to put in a pellett stove in the house.
Not sure where as nowhere lends it's self to easy venting. Those stoves are
extremely pricey and take a long time to pay for themselves here.

> I got lots of complaints from "She Who Must be Obeyed" about how much space
> had to be used to meet the code, even with lath and plaster walls. (House is
> ca.1912).
> Funny how she now says "Honey, my feets are cold, can you build a fire?"
> I also start getting harassed about June or July to start gathering
> firewood.
> Response: "Yeah, Yeah, after Land Racing is done in October!"
>
> It just feels soooo good to back up to a fire after following a snow shovel
> up and down the sidewalks and driveway.
>
> We've lost power on a few occasions, and I can cook on or in  the stove;
> also have a camp stove and Bar-B-Que. (charcoal or propane).
>
> If Robert is far enough out in the country, he could build a drain oil
> furnace.
> I saw one on a shop out in Wyoming.

                  Well not out in the country but people here think they
are... There is a horse one house over and someone has a rooster. You can
get away with pretty much anything here. I really wish people would cut
their grass more often...

> I think one of the most important factors in heating a shop is mounting the
> firebox at least 18" above the floor.
> Most commercial applications are near the ceiling.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

                    Yeah never understood that. Not sure what I'm going to
do for heat but I don't think I'll need much. The sun warms it up pretty
good so far. Will see what it takes in the winter. I'm thinking a small
propane heater is all it needs. ALso need to insulate the garage doors on it
but that's it.