[elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

  • From: Dann Keller <kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ray Buck et al <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 23:50:21 -0700

Mary,

For some reason there are no fighter jets at McCord AFB or Whidbey NAS.  The
nearest interceptor jets are at the Oregon Air National Guard out of the
Portland airport (PDX).  If there is a security "threat" in the Seattle area
those are the planes that are scrambled to intercept.  When they scramble, the
afterburners kick in about the time they're 100 feet in the air and they go
supersonic with the attendant sonic "BOOM".  That may have been what you heard.
 A short while back the First Lady and The VP made trips to Seattle.  When that
happens the air space around Seattle is closed to any private planes; any that
enter that space are considered a threat and the jets on alert in Portland come
up.  The trip up from PDX only takes them about 8 minutes or less (more like 5
if they are F-15s with a reported 2.5 Mach top end.)

This is what did happen earlier this year when the Pres. was in Seattle.  Some
private pilot coming from eastern Washington didn't get the memo and when radar
saw him a few miles out from the no fly zone over the Cascades they scrambled
two planes out of PDX.   They were on his butt long before he got close to
Seattle and "escorted" him to an airport away from Seattle.   But when those
two jets came over Olympia they were screaming.  We were outside and I swear
somebody had blasted a couple of stumps on the next street over.

So based on that experience I could well imagine you might of heard something
like that.

Dan

Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 10:06:36 -0700
From: printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

.

fighter jets. hmm hadn't considered that.   We figured it was probably related
to the heavy trucks we've been hearing lately.  Perhaps someone is trying to
build on the edge of the valley (we're at the bottom next to a ledge) and
needed to blow up some rock.  Or a really big stump.  Either way - no sirens,
no activity.

Mary

               and something went 'BOOM' a few hours ago (speaking of taking
trees down).  Took a walk around and whatever shook the house is still a
mystery.  Probably a good thing.

Mary

                        We get quite a few booms here too. Caused by fighter
jets... I see the new F-22 flying around on almost a daily basis. Easy to pick
out too, don't even need to see it as it's louder than any other plane out
there. Sounds like an F4 with the AB on. No need for radar lock just set the
missle to go to the loudest noise.