[elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

  • From: JAMES HALLADAY <auh2ofan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 16:19:13 -0600

Yes, Mary;
  There is lots of gas in Texas.
I think the biggest deposits are around Amarillo. The only way that they
make it is when some of them run their mouths; otherwise, it was put there a
long time ago when the earth's crust was formed.
  (This from a native Texan, so don't anybody get upset).
I remember in about 1950 when there was a natural gas pipeline opened up to
Seattle; we were able to pitch the coal stove that took up lots of space
and
install a floor furnace.

We installed a wood stove in the corner of the living room just prior to the
Y2K fiasco; you just never really know, do you?

I got lots of complaints from "She Who Must be Obeyed" about how much space
had to be used to meet the code, even with lath and plaster walls. (House is
ca.1912).
Funny how she now says "Honey, my feets are cold, can you build a fire?"
I also start getting harassed about June or July to start gathering
firewood.
Response: "Yeah, Yeah, after Land Racing is done in October!"

It just feels soooo good to back up to a fire after following a snow shovel
up and down the sidewalks and driveway.

We've lost power on a few occasions, and I can cook on or in  the stove;
also have a camp stove and Bar-B-Que. (charcoal or propane).

If Robert is far enough out in the country, he could build a drain oil
furnace.
I saw one on a shop out in Wyoming.

I think one of the most important factors in heating a shop is mounting the
firebox at least 18" above the floor.
Most commercial applications are near the ceiling.

Regards,
Jim