[elky] Re: a moment of silence, please

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:06:36 -0700

that's an exceptional price on the generator. Every thing we looked at needed an expensive installation and thousands of dollars.

Isn't that going to be inconvenient having the main panel in the shop? How loud can you yell when you are trying to shut off one room? They read our meter 'remotely' which is probably a fancy name for 'guess'.

fighter jets. hmm hadn't considered that. We figured it was probably related to the heavy trucks we've been hearing lately. Perhaps someone is trying to build on the edge of the valley (we're at the bottom next to a ledge) and needed to blow up some rock. Or a really big stump. Either way - no sirens, no activity.

Mary

Yup Lots of gas here. Sitting on top of the barnett shale here. Back during the drilling boom I could look out from the house and see anywhere from 3-6 rigs all drilling at the same time. Looked like a bunch of launch towers at night. So because we have all this gas it costs more here.. There is a large pipeline going to the north east and they pay less for gas than we do. Seems we are the ones paying for their pipeline

For about $500 I can get a HF generator that'll run most of the house or run the NEW AC unit to be installed next year but not both at the same time. With all the badly taken care of trees here and the power lines being on poles the power goes out in storms and ice. When I get around to replacing the main panel in the house I'm going to have the elec company move the meter to the shop which is close to the pole. Then the shop will feed the house. The lines from the shop to house are bigger than the ones the elec company has feeding the house. And.. I'll dig a trench to the pole and have them put the lines in the ground instead of from the pole. That way I can just flip a lever and shut off all power to the house and replace as I need.

    The guys selling the solar (here) say it works on cloudy days, but
    I wonder how well.  Right now, it's cloudy, rainy and the sun is
    very low in the sky (below the tree line in front).  Cosmetic
    flaws are irrelevant, so that sounds good for you.

    and something went 'BOOM' a few hours ago (speaking of taking
    trees down).  Took a walk around and whatever shook the house is
    still a mystery.  Probably a good thing.

    Mary

Retail price of solar panels ends up taking 20-25 years to break even and that's the length of the warranty. Now some states and counties and elec companies have programs to help pay for it but you have to do everything the expensive way.. Now in CA you can put up a system big enough to cover all your needs and end up roughly 3-4K out of pocket cause all the subsidies there and govt ones. For me though it's better to get B grade panels or just get cells solder them together and make a case for them. Plan is to use the glass from the old storm windows as it's tempered and free.

We get quite a few booms here too. Caused by fighter jets... I see the new F-22 flying around on almost a daily basis. Easy to pick out too, don't even need to see it as it's louder than any other plane out there. Sounds like an F4 with the AB on. No need for radar lock just set the missle to go to the loudest noise.