Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 13:16:31 GMT

In message <53a5d2d37aPaul@xxxxxxxx>
          Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <b437d1a553.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Otherwise, older 1680x1050 22" widescreen monitors make an excellent
>> choice, as they can hit 56hz (fine for almost all screens) without
>> corruption etc.  They also have the 16:10 ratio that many people
>> secretly prefer for real work!

> The 16:10 ratio may be preferred for real work (and I fully agree), but the
> 1680x1050 resolution is a bit gaunt, as far as I am concerned. Even my
> current 1920x1200 is a considerable step backwards to what I was used to on
> my old CRT monitor, although the picture quality is much better now. Is
> there any chance that the ARMiniX will drive higher resolutions in the
> future?

No, I'm afraid we're pretty much at the max.  The hardware can do
2000x2000 as far as I know, (perhas 2048x2048) so 1920 is pretty close
to the wire.

There are 1920x1200 monitors which support the required refresh rates,
so you can do 1920x1200 without issue, but they aren't cheap, hence
the usual 1920x1080 choice.  IIRC the recommended 1920x1200 screen is
about 350-375 vs 200ish for 1920x1080.

Of course, if you don't mind the minor graphical issue (and many users
haven't noticed, despite me purposely running that way at shows to
ensure I'm not misleading anyone), cheaper 1920x1200 screens can be
used (eg. Dell for about 250).

The limitation is primarily due to what can be handled on a
single-link DVI or HDMI connection.  To go higher on PCs, the screen
has to be split into chunks and sent down separate channels on the DVI
lead.  This is very noticeable when the screen clears, or when windows
move over the boarder, as there's often a microscopic delay between
each half of the screen.  Hope that makes sense.  On PC/RISCube, the
solution is DisplayPort, which supports up to 4k+ I believe, as a
single plane.  Certainly that's how I solved it for a chap with a Dell
30" display.  Displayport was very much more "coherent" than dual-link
DVI previously.

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS