Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:12:54 GMT

In message <53a5c117dfjcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04 Nov, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Given this I've experimented with screen modes. At the same pixel size
>>> and depth I can get rates from 48 to 60 Hz to *just* work. However if
>>> I use a rate above 50Hz one of the screen images I use as a backdrop
>>> shows some red 'speckles' in dark areas.

>> Andrew told me that the video chip of the ARMiniX actually needs a more
>> flexible monitor, that can handle low rates, typically 42Hz or less.

> Yes. Andrew did caution me about this before I bought the monitor. The snag
> is that I needed a monitor that gave a good 'HD' display *and* could be
> used with my Iyonix + Linux Box + ARMiniX. So needed three different video
> input connector types. Until now it has worked OK.

To be accurate, when that monitor was originally purchased, there was
no talk of ARMini etc, so we supplied an IPS monitor at a lower price
suitable for use with Linux, Windows and Iyo.  I think we may have
even discussed the (more expensive) screens which could handle ARMini
requirements, but they added a not insignificant chunk of change.

The ARMiniX monitors we currently sell (for circa 199ukp) have twin
HDMI and a VGA port (plus others) and an IPS panel.  This means they
can be used with PC, ARMiniX (HDMI/DVI) and Iyo/RiscPC/PC (VGA).
These screens support lower refresh rates ensuring corruption-free
display at high resolutions.

Otherwise, older 1680x1050 22" widescreen monitors make an excellent
choice, as they can hit 56hz (fine for almost all screens) without
corruption etc.  They also have the 16:10 ratio that many people
secretly prefer for real work!

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS