Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:35:27 +0100 (Custom)

In article <53a54d47a9jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) For whatever reason !Pluto now takes 3-4 seconds to put up its box
> list main window when run.

Here, it's the debatching that can take 3-4 seconds, sometimes even more -
even if there's nothing to debatch. Haven't found any pattern yet, though.

> Given this I've experimented with screen modes. At the same pixel size
> and depth I can get rates from 48 to 60 Hz to *just* work. However if I
> use a rate above 50Hz one of the screen images I use as a backdrop shows
> some red 'speckles' in dark areas.

Andrew told me that the video chip of the ARMiniX actually needs a more
flexible monitor, that can handle low rates, typically 42Hz or less. I
managed to turn the refresh rate of my Siemens monitor down to 49 Hz (its
minimum), which indeed reduced the green speckles (they are green here, and
not only in dark areas) considerably. So, as far as refresh rates on modern
monitors are concerned: less seems to be better.

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers

--
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl