Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:29:54 +0000

On 8 Nov, Peter Young wrote in message
    <233578a753.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thanks for the reassurance! I will bite the bullet perhaps next week. Does
> one need to transfer all the stuff from the existing USB "drive" to the
> card, or is !Boot the only thing on the card? If so, how does one get both
> "drives" showing?

Having never seen one of R-Comp's cards, I assume they're one of the "dual
format" SD cards that originated on the Pi and are now common on Beagle and
Pandaboards as well. That is, the card is formatted for RISC OS Filecore,
but has a FAT partition cleverly placed over the top which the bootloader
can see. On the Filecore side, there's a file placed in the disc map to
coincide exactly with the FAT partition, to prevent it being overwritten by
RISC OS. It's given the type "DOSDisc" so that double-clicking on it opens
the FAT partition in DOSFS. Evil, but effective.

If that's correct, then you'll find that after installing one, clicking on
the SD card icon on your iconbar will open an SDFS disc containing !Boot et
al, instead of the bootloader's files as it did before. You'll need
configure the machine to boot from SDFS, instead of SCSI (which I'm sure
R-Comp will explain in the upgrade notes).

You can put all of your data on to the SDFS card, or carry on using any
SCSI-attached USB devices for data storage -- it's up to you.

> To save the manual updating of the new !Boot, couldn't one use something
> like SyncDiscs, or would that be a recipe for chaos?

That doesn't sound too clever... Apart from anything else, depending on what
you do with your old apps, you might be needing to change SCSI: to SDFS: in
some filenames.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/