Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:25:42 +0000 (GMT)

On 06 Nov, A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, some machines may fail to start due to not getting enough
> power internally.  Usually unplugging/reconnecting the molex power lead
> inside and/or reseating the power connection to the internal USB hub
> solves this.  Transit can cause this to become loose.  For example, I
> have just done such a repair - as supplied to me, the board would light
> up, but never boot (you'd see the lights flash off and back on, as if
> constantly rebooting).  After removing the unnecessary fan connection,
> and reconnecting the cables, the last 10 boots have been perfect (also
> updated OS).

> Note that latest OS build, power management ensures that active cooling
> isn't needed, so the fan is not necessary unless you plan on
> overclocking.

That is very interesting/useful to know! I had noticed that the
temperatures shown by the CPU temperature monitor I have on the icon bar
seemed lower than I was used to. This is due to the updated OS?

I have experimented with giving the rear power connector a shuggle (Scots
term) when I first encountered a failure to bootup. At the time it didn't
help. Just to check: the connector I mean is the one that has its
cable/plug stick out of the opening at the back of the case?

I'm attracted by the idea of being able to disconnect the fan if this is
now safe.

Just to make sure: Is it now safe to disconnect the fan? i.e. the power
management will take care of the CPU temperature if I do and all that will
happen if I run some intense CPU processes is that it will slow down to
ensure it remains safe?

If so, I'll disconnect the fan. Having a complete removal of any mechanical
noise is welcome in itself.

If it also removes the problem of having boots fail when the keyboard is
connected at the rear, that would be excellent. Double-win! :-)

To confirm. I'm now using RO5.19 (06-Jul-13) as installed by the 'official'
upgrader. This is the version that provides the CPU temperature protection?

If removing the fan doesn't solve the behaviour what you say prompts me to
ask if there are test points on the board where I can use a DVM to check
the rail voltages to see if they are too low, etc?

Jim