Re: [ARMini-support] Experience so far with 5.19 (6 Jul 13)

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:55:42 GMT

In message <df706da653.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 Nov 2013  A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <a70d64a653.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Is that for the plain original ARMini? I've just been to the
> > > ARMini site, and the most recent OS upgrade I can find is
> > > OS6alpha. As a fully registered coward, I wouldn't dare try an
> > > alpha version unless somebody could reassure me that even in my
> > > hands nothing could go wrong!
>
> > Ah, I'm sorry, I should have clarified.  Both Paul and Jim have
> > ARMiniX systems, which didn't restart cleanly in RISC OS (had to
> > power on/off) with the original OS build.  This was updated.
>
> > Original ARMini users should update to the 5.20 SD card release
> > (which has been available for some months now through ourselves)
> > for the latest recommended OS.  I appreciate this isn't a
> > super-cheap solution, but it is the best way to avoid a load of
> > potential hassle.

I can strongly recommend the new SD card as the solution to go with. As
Andrew says, it's not the cheapest solution, but it avoided a lot of
the issues I had with upgrading to 5.20 on the Iyonix.

> Thanks for making that plain. I must get the card, but does it come
> with instructions suitable for an idiot?

Well, I made it work 8-). I like to think I'm not an idiot where the
software side is concerned, but I'm damn close to it on the hardware
side.Even for me, going from a 5.19 boot on a USB hard disc to a clean
5.20 boot on the SD card took less than 5 minutes.

The only thing that was anything like hard work was ensuring I'd got a
list of all the "Look At" and "Run" items in !Configure->Boot to add
back in for the new !Boot on the SD card, and copying all those
essential add-on modules from old !Boot.Choices.Boot.etc to the new
one.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.